Pros of a Screwtop
- Like plastic corks, they avoid problems of cork taint, we have yet to have found a faulty wine bottles under this closure.
- Unlike cork or synthetic cork they are less likely to lose their effectiveness over time.
- They are less expensive than natural or plastic corks.
- Wines can be opened without any special equipment and easily resealed.
- Resent tests have proved that wines mature well under screw cap.
- Screw caps make a satisfying click when they are opened.
- Wines can easily be transported (in any position).
- Unless the cap has been damaged there is the absence of liquid leakage.
Cons of a Screwtop
- If not disposed of carefully aluminium is not recyclable.
- Wines under screw cap can are perceived as cheap, though this perception is now changing.
- As with synthetic cork screw caps imply environmental issues associated with the loss of cork farming.
- There is no ritual of cork-sniffing and you lose the 'popping' sound that a cork makes when removed from the bottle.
- It poses a threat to the industry of corkscrews and other related products.
Back to top